Friday, September 12, 2008

Insomniac

Ahhhh, so peaceful, right? And why am I blogging at 1:30am? I'll tell you why. It's because Fin has JUST gone to sleep. Yes, ladies and gentlemen ... its fun around these parts. He only naps once during the days ... for about an hour and a half. He is done with his nap usually around 1:30, so by 6:00pm he's fried. However, you'd think he'd take a small nap between 1:30 and 7. Nope! So he's fried at 6 and I'm not letting him sleep at 6. We hold him off until 7 and he's OUT by 7:30. That went like clockwork tonight until he woke up at 9:00. We did all the things we could think of, rocked him, changed him, cooled his room off, changed his jammies, fed him more. By midnight still nothing. He wasn't screaming ....just .... happy and awake. Laughing, "talking", coo'ing. Finally I gave him Tylenol and a bath (again) and he's OUT. Thank you! Maysen refused naps when he was 15mo old, and I'm thinking he'll be the same way. In which case I'll need a wig because I'm going to pull every hair out of my head.


Maysen and I are definitely in a rough patch. I guess from seeing the picture from above when he was 14mo, I knew I'd have my hands full. This was his "Piggy" face but he also made it if he didn't want to do something you asked him to do. I feel like I fight him ON.EVERYTHING. Getting dressed, making his bed, putting on shoes, get in the van, going to school, going potty, it's bath time. EVERYTHING. It's just this battle that is usually something to this effect, "Maysen it's time to get your shoes on for school" .... (whiny)"But I DON'T WANNNNNNNA GO TO SCHOOL" .... "You love school, now get your shoes on" .... "MOM!! Listen: I SAID .... I DON-" ... "ONE!!! ..... TWO!!!!................" ...."FINE ... AUGHGHGHGH!" That's just an example. And we have time outs quite frequently. It feels like a marathon. An absolute marathon, but I guess that means I'm on the right track - I've heard if it's too easy, you're doing something wrong. My goal is follow through, because it's so easy to just say "ohhhhh brother. whatever" and let it fly. I can't do that. I have to teach him that I mean what I say so that he doesn't start walking all over me knowing I don't' mean what I say. My neighbor (who is a teacher) even noticed his little "change" and said that this usually happens right before a growth spurt, either physical or social. I'm hoping this is the last HOORAY from the "Trying Threes" because the "Fantastic Fours" are on their way. I can hope.

Ok. To the bed. Who's the insomniac? Griffin or me?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Don't worry! It will get better. Not sure when if you know let me know because we are in the middle of it with my own daughter. Jonas never went thru terrible two's and Miranda is blessing us with it. Yeah!!! Love ya

Anonymous said...

That picture of Maysen cracks me up! Should have known!! ha ha. Love Ya. MomSher

L&D said...

Aahahahaha. Fantastic fours? Let me assure you that my son is four and I STILL fight those same daily battles as you. I wish it would end, but when you have a strong willed child as you and I seem to have in common, well, I think those battles are inevitable. I think you've go the right focus.....follow through.

You can do it. You're great.