Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of Preschool

Miss Mona. Miss Betsy. The smell of the Methodist Church. Fish decorated Dixie cups at snack time. Grandma Hineman in the corner on bean bags for story time. Finger paints and the smell of our plastic paint covers we had to wear. Miss Betsy bringing back a new “kitchen” when she went on vacation to Washington DC and we all fought over it. Mom coming for our hoola-hoop game and how excited I was when she would come pick me up. The scary merry-go-ground with the chipping blue, green, and yellow paint.

These are my memories of preschool. You wouldn’t think you could remember back that far, but I sure can. It’s exciting for me to know that he’s formulating these memories now. Here I am, almost 30 and I can remember my preschool years. It’s so magical to watch his eyes knowing he’s making those life-long memories at that moment. It sure is special.

Last night Maysen threw the whole “I don’t want to go to school!!” Nate promised him a gold start if he was good at school and went to sleep. That worked like a charm, even though he “didn’t want to go”. I had laid out his new clothes/shoes and his school bag. This morning I went to get him up and he met me at the door – naked – carrying all his new clothes, shoes, socks, and school bag. “I’m ready to go, Momma!” Ahh, I thought so.

This year I have him in the afternoon class. He goes at 11:15am and eats lunch. I pick him up at 2:15pm, during which I come home and feed Fin and he takes his nap. I’m still in denial that I actually get a couple hours of PEACE AND QUIET!! Pinch me, please!! Maysen was so ready to be at school. Miss N walked in and Maysen perked right up. He has been across the hall from her all last year, so he knew her and the classroom. When I picked up Maysen, Miss N said Maysen was a big help. Since he was in pre-preschool last year he has some of the fundamental stuff down that the new preschool kids are just now learning. He met a new friend, R, and when his mom asked what Maysen's name is, Mase said "I'm M!". Well, he's learned the first letter of his name well!

My little boy is growing up and making life-long memories already. I know it's just pre-school. But there's a "pre" to everything and it's started. Pre-1st grade. Pre-high school. Pre-college. Really? Where does the time go? I love you, My Mr Bean. And we're very proud of you. You and the new dinosaur pencil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gawd, he's handsome.

Anonymous said...

A new chapter in your life. How fun!! Love Mom

Anonymous said...

OK, you about undid me with that one! He's so grown up looking and so dang cute! Where do the years go? Love You my Mr. Man Love Grandma Sherrill