Monday, January 7, 2008

Today.

Griffin is doing much better - he's alert, keeping his eyes open for 1-2hrs at a time. He's eating well over 2oz at each feeding, which are 2-3hrs apart, keeping above his 70cc/3hr status. He's breathing on his own - maintaining oxygen saturation mainly above 91%most of the time. He has no IV any longer, and the ONLY med he's taking is the seizure medication, which he gets now by mouth (liquid). The MRI which initially was read by a regular neurologist (Eugene has only one pediatric neurologist -Dr Goins- who is out of town until Wednesday) and it read as "no abnormalities". However, upon further inspection there were some "anoxic diffusions" which translates to a signal that there was some period of significant no oxygen. This MRI was sent yesterday to a pediatric neurologist in Portland for re-evaluation yesterday. We have yet to hear from him. Griffin remains in the NICU, probably until evaluated by Dr Goins on Wednesday.

The "not-so-reprieve" news is that Nathan was admitted to the hospital today. The day Griffin was admitted he complained of headaches, Day 2 he ran a fever, Day 3 he had muscle aches, Day 4 (yesterday) he complained of really weak hands. Today he could barely get out of bed, put on socks, hold a pencil, or walk. So he went to the doctor today who sent him to an immediate neuro consult (with Dr Wilken who has been watching Griffin while hospitalized) who said everything was checking out OK, but admitted him to the hospital for further tests (MRI, lab, probable spinal tap). She said it was likely the same germ that caused Griffin to be so sick, so maybe if we could isolate the germ causing this, we would know what infected Griffin, too, in the end helping both.

I am in a daze and all this will probably hit me next week when life catches up with me. I had to miss my own doctor appointment today - and have been showing some signs of poor healing. I needed this reality to see that my family needs me ... well. So I'm trying to keep that in mind while both being there for my family too. Where is the balance??

Keep us continued in your thoughts and prayers. Where's the vodka??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack. Feel better, Nate. :-/

Ej said...

Praying that you all feel better! I can't imagine how difficult this all must be!

kelly ens said...

I'm sorry i'm so behind on my blog reading at such a crucial time! Glad to hear the improvement in Griffin, and will be praying for continued improvement and healing for both he and Nathan. And strength and health for you as well!!!