Friday, January 4, 2008

more tears ....

Well, today didn't turn out how we expected. We were expecting to get to the hospital and see our boy fatigued, but doing "ok". Instead, today was a turn for the worst. He had eaten at 7am real well. Nate and I got there around 9am and while I was holding him, I caught him seizing. Earlier that morning, he had a period of no breathing for about 45 seconds, but came out of it.

The seizing continued all day until they confirmed they were true seizures, which wasn't until about 2pm. He had one big one where he stopped breathing, turned blue (O2 sat was 34%), and had to be resuscitated by the respiratory team.

They got him started on medication to prevent the seizures and after the 3rd inital dose his seizing stopped, except for a few tremors that aren't being registered on the EEG machine as true seizures. It seems they're mainly stimulus-induced. They considered moving him to OHSU in Portland to be more closely monitored, but after a consult with the pediatric neurologist, it was concluded that all was being done right here, and if need be they could tele-conference with the docs in Portland.

The consensus is that this is still all viral and the seizures are just a (wonderful) side effect of this that has caused some encephalitis which is causing the seizures. Right now he's stable on the seizure meds, his oxygen level is good, and he's resting (minus the scheduled Tylenol and needed movement from the nurses). Nate started running a fever at 3pm, so now he's sick, which diminishes my support, but we'll make due.

I will close now as I need some rest because I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. Fin has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning and praying to God that turns out OK. I struggled with leaving, but realized I needed my rest if I was going to get/stay well. I'm calling around the clock for updates and they'll call me if anything were to change.

PLEASE keep the prayers coming. My faith is really tried right now as the more I keep praying the more scary things become. I'm ready for a reprieve.

3 comments:

Ej said...

Still praying and sending you ((((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

Me too, Les. *hug* Wish I could do something more. Love you.

L&D said...

Continuing to pray. Keep your hope alive.