Thursday, January 3, 2008

*tears*

I wanted to let you all know that Griffin is very sick. He started getting sick yesterday and by 11:00am today he was in the Neonatal ICU (NICU). He has an unidentified viral/bacterial infection causing respiratory distress and fever. So far luckily they've ruled out RSV, pneumonia, and influenza but we're still waiting for a few tests to come back. They did a spinal tap and the culture will take a few days to get back - but the preliminary result showed no meningitis.

The neonatologist assured me that this has nothing to do with the fact he was born prematurely as his lungs were fully developed prior to this infection. The problem is that everyone, including Nate, Maysen, and I (along with multiple other family members) have come in contact with him since birth. With little/no immune system he was bound to catch something. That is where my guilt comes into play, but I can't beat myself up about it.

So far he has gotten off of oxygen and is breathing on his own without help. His fever is stabilizing and the IV fluids have helped tremendously. Tomorrow morning they're moving him down to the pediatric floor and hopefully if he continues to get better at the rate he is and all the tests come back negative, he'll be able to come home (God willing) on Saturday.

We've had one rough, long road so (again) I ask that you keep us in your thoughts and prayers. It's all in His hands now and I've never felt more vulnerable and desperate.

3 comments:

Ej said...

Praying for you and baby Griffin! J-man was born early too and had to go back into the hospital - it was very difficult on me (esp. with all those postpartum hormones). Know that you are being lifted in prayer!

Anonymous said...

Les,

You have nothing to feel guilty for. You're a great mom, and Fin's going to pull through all this, just wait. It'll be one of those moments when we laugh and say, "You know, you were real sick when you were first born; you had everyone worried!" You've got a great family that's there for you, Nate, and Bean, and a lot of love coming your way in prayers, thoughts, etc. If there's anything I can do, let me know. Love you, Les.

L&D said...

Praying my dear friend....