Saturday, January 5, 2008

I got my reprieve

Thank you Lord for my reprieve I have been needing. Griffin is 100% a different kid today. He had no seizure activity (not even tremors) since Friday night. We got there this morning and he has had no fever (Tylenol given every 4hrs, but I think even off it he'd be OK), he was still slightly sedated due to the seizure medication, but he was sucking hard on his pacifier and "searching" for it with his head and hands when it wasn't in his mouth. I asked if it was OK to try and feed him, and when we got the OK he ate like a trooper drinking over half his bottle on the first try. Not only has he been eating, but he's very rousable when moved but not irritable. He's coo'ing again sometimes and grasping our hands and reacting to our touch, so he's starting to adjust to the seizure medication.

He had his MRI and although we didn't get the definative reading back, the tech running it said he'd done many many and Fin's looked absolutely normal.

His oxygen level off of all oxygen has been very stable - and he's pink as pink could be. He's gained almost a pound back from his birth weight, courtesy of rehydration from IV fluids.

They discontinued all his antibotics (gentamicin and ampicillin), so now he's only on the scheduled Tylenol, scheduled seizure medication (for all my medical friends, it's phenobarbital), and scheduled antiviral medication (Acyclovir). Dr Herbert is not only a great pediatrician but also on the Infection Disease board at PeaceHealth - so we couldn't be in better hands. She says that Fin will be on Phenobarb for "weeks" even after discharge. I guess better safe than sorry.


I held him all day and he's doing just what he needs right now - rest. I'm hoping he stays stable and *maybe* he'll be moved from the NICU early next week. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. I've gotten many emails of encouragement and reassurance and although I might not answer them all, I want to thank you all for everything ... I will keep you updated as time goes on.

3 comments:

Ej said...

So glad he is better! Praying that he'll continue to improve and be able to come home soon. Blessings and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for Feesh to come home.

Shout out to God: Thanks for listening.

L&D said...

That's so funny when you wrote for your medical friend the meds....I smirked a bit because I was one of those friends who was wondering. Gent hey? Was on a heavy hitter med.

I'm relieved FOR you that he's doing better today. I'm continuing to pray daily for you all.

My my is he a big boy! I can hardly believe he's technically a "preemie". Wow. I love his rolls.

Enjoy him. Breathe, pray and enjoy.
Oh yea, and REST. You'll need it.