Thursday, October 2, 2008

I started getting addicted to this show last year when there was nothing to watch during my bedrest/pregnancy. I immediately became fascinated with this family; one with many challenges, frustrations, unconditional love, a sense of "who cares", and freedom. When I realized this family lived only miles from me, I was that much more intrigued.


As I watched, I looked passed the fact that half of the family are dwarfs and the other half were "normal". What's amazing is that there is one set of twins in this family. Zack and Jeremy are twins, one is little and other is normal. Matt, the father, is raising his family on their huge farm in Oregon where they are raising a variety of things including pumpkins for pumkin season. Matt had a hard childhood consisiting of multiple hospitalizations and surgeries which left him time to dream up "cool" things for his later years filled with his own children. Currently on their farm, they have a pirate ship, a cowboy town, Swamp Fort, Castle, Mill, and probably more things in the mix that I don't know about since the show is not running a current season. Matt is a huge advocater for dwarfism and has since developed his own specific dwarf-friendly packages that posess all the things needed to make a LP's (Little Person) stay more comfortable in many hotel chains. It is growing more and more successful each day.


As I learned more about this family, the level of admiration welled inside me for Amy, the mom. To be met head on with challenges Day 1 of life and still come through as such a successful person with her head held high leaves much to be admired. Not only did she defy people's doubts of being successful, she graduated from a university, got married, and had 4 children - 2 of which were via C-Section and TWINS. Now, I have 2 boys and can't imagine carrying twins, can you imagine being 4'8"?


I think we all walk around here with our own insecurities about things. Hair, weight, height, mole, etc. To some people these insecurities are numbing and debilitating. If anyone has a "right" to be insecure and closed off, it would be (among many) LPs. However I have seen Amy (along with many others) live life probably more full than I have. Not only have they lived life, but they have done it with smiles on their faces. They have gained more respect from people than some blue collar men, and they have such strength carrying their heads held high. Amy's children know she is their advocate. They know she will be there in all times. Yet, she has a firm enough hand to let them know not to mess with her! To me, Amy has defied all odds in life and still smiles as if to say "bring it on". She is someone I look up to alot and she makes me want to be a better mom.













No comments: