Thursday, October 9, 2008

To our Dog.

Dear Bay,
It all started with one walk into the pet shop. You were the last girl with 3 colors and you had the HUGEST paws ever seen. Your head was all black and you used to sleep with your legs straight back. When you were really young you had major separation anxiety which translated to you tearing up/eating anything and everything in sight when we would leave. This included shoes, glasses, remote controls, cell phones, toilet paper, trash, Nursing School text books, and much much more. It was very frustrating.

We finally got you over this by moving your sleeping basket, or comfort zone, into the living room while we were gone, and eventually you were comfortable while we were gone. This took years of managing, though.

When Daddy went to Iraq you would come with me on walks along the river. As I walked further, you would boycott my "no stopping" mind set and head down to the river for drinks. You'd come flopping around the corner, usually soaking wet like 'Here I am mom!". The first time you did this, I had my music up too loud and didn't notice you weren't following anymore. I was terrified that I had lost you. You were my best friend and keeper while daddy was gone. You went everywhere with us, including visiting Hombre and Grandma/Grandpa in their 5th wheel where, if you thought grandparents spoil grandchildren, it's true for granddogchildren, too. My dad spoils this dog crazy.

Maysen was born and you took that in stride. You became very protective and would merely lay in front of his crib while he slept. As he grew older and used you as a ladder or various other objects to crawl on/around, you continued to be very patient, still, and strong. And now with Griffin crawling, pulling, and throwing things at you, you still remain still and patient. I'm not sure if that's your laziness of your breed or you know these are your babies and you care for them. I like to think the latter.

When you became sick with Addisons 3 years ago, it was very expensive to get you better. It still remains expensive with all the medications you have to be on to keep you well. And although we now have 2 "real" babies in our family, you will forever be our first little baby basset. You are part of our family and always will be.

You are now Maysen's best friend and confidant. He loves walking you, feeding you, and getting into trouble with you. You are just another child I have and when you and Maysen get yourselves in a pickle I get the same "uh oh" look from both you and Maysen. Two peas in a pod! You are very much a part of our family ... and always will be. Happy 7th Birthday!! We love you, you stinky doggie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww :D That's sweet. happy birthday, Bay!