Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mom-nesia

I am working on a scientific study as to the phenomena known as "Mom-nesia" because I swear it exists. For those who haven't experienced such a phenomena it is when a mother has lost her mind, forgetting just about everything upon the arrival of 1 (one) or more children. We hope this is temporary, although to those who are affected it seems like forever.

Twice this week I have done my shower routine (pretty self explanatory, I'm not thinking you need the details of this routine). I get out, dry off, and proceed with the hair dryer/make-up routine. It's just about the time I get my curling iron out that I think "Hmm.. my hair just isn't feeling right" and I realize that I've totally missed a step in my in-shower routine: hair washing. So, I have to repeat steps 2-3 of the post shower routine (dry hair/makeup). Some other examples of my Mom-nesia are:


  1. Forgetting how many scoops of formula I've put in the bottle while, yes, still scooping


  2. I've put scoops in the bottle - but no liner in the bottle (MESS!)


  3. No bottles/diapers in diaper bag; no wallet when I get to the grocery store with a cart-full of groceries


  4. On a few days I work - I have forgotten what number I dialed so I wait to hear the voice and then ask "I'm sorry I have to ask this, but who did I call?"


  5. Made Hamburger-Helper ... but forgot the hamburger part of Hamburger Helper


  6. Doing laundry - Did I already put in the laundry soap?


  7. On many occasions have no clue what day it is .. I'm scared for Daylight Savings time because then I'll have no clue if it's early morning or night ...


  8. Am I coming from or going to bed?


  9. Don't even let me make a recipe! I'll forget if I've put half the ingredients in! (flat cookies - no baking soda!)


  10. .... and the list could (and does!) go on and on.

Don't they have a pill for this? They could call it "It'll-get-better-when-they-go-to-college". And in my case .... this came on suddenly once Baby 2 came along. I can't even imagine if there were a baby 3. I'd need an assistant just to keep track of things!

2 comments:

L&D said...

Hee hee hee hee hee! I love this post. So so true! I experience this to some degree or another on a daily basis too! I was giggling all the way along. Perhaps you'll be experiencing some sundowning? Good times.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I remember those days. Now after you regain your mind, the menopause sets in, and it begins all over again. Love Mom