Monday, March 17, 2008

Bond between Auntie & Nephew

Kisses ...


... and the contact. Because lip kisses are gross!

Some pictures around the yard ... spring is here!!


Gotta love the drive-thru brownies


Can you tell we live next to the ball field?


Jenn and I went out to King Estate Winery near home



To our surprise, we discovered an old 1800 cemetery right off the grounds of the winery. It was a jackpot for me!!!





We had quite an exciting weekend this past weekend. My sister Jenn was here for a visit. Saturday afternoon between downpours we shot photos in the backyard (check ‘em out on my Flickr site). Then Jenn “had” to show me her newest favorite movie, Cloverfield, so we headed to the $1.50 movie theatre and saw it. It was good – a mix between Blair Witch Project and September 11.

On our way home we got dinner and proceeded to our quiet little suburb. We rounded the corner down our street and noticed something small crouched on the sidewalk as we were driving by - it was a small little girl. She was naked except for a tiny pair of panties on and she was crouched down in a instinctual self-preserving fashion as the 40F rain poured down. I stopped the van and before I could get it fully stopped, Jenn and gotten out and was approaching the girl. As Jenn reached her, she leaped into Jenn ’s arms. She was cold and shivering, but content. I parked the van and put her in Maysen’s car seat and started a movie. Long story short, the girl belongs to the people who’s dogs attacked Bailey last month. Apparently this isn’t the first time something like this has happened. DHS got involved and I believe she went with them that night. The mom finally came out once the boys noticed the cops and blamed the boys for “letting” her get out while she “took a shower” (no wet hair, apparent no shower).

Levi, the same officer whom we dealt with in Bailey’s case, was on duty so that was nice. He told me he would keep me updated on what would happen with them. I have yet to hear what happened, but I know Levi isn’t back on shift until Wednesday. He kept us very up to date on what was going on with Bailey – even stopping and talking with Nate only 20 minutes before he got the call about an abandoned child on Saturday (which was us). Levi later joked he just needed to give me a badge. I have mixed emotions for feeling bad for the kids of that family, and feeling good that we did the right thing, and possibly made a huge difference in the kids’ lives. At least I would like to believe that …

On another note, I’ve talked before about my sister-in-law, Danielle, and her annual auction she puts on to raise money for the Christian school her kids (and Maysen) are in. They’re working toward building a new building for the school – instead of just being in the basements of 2 local churches. It’s a great cause, and I’m hoping to win the lotto to get that accomplished. Well, one thing she includes in part of her auction is donations for scholarships for kids who want to go, but can’t afford the tuition. We had a woman donate a keyboard – and although it’s almost new, I don’t think that’s something we can “auction”. So, I got the idea of a Scholarship Fund Garage Sale, to be held annually at the end of each school year. All proceeds will go toward helping people finance their kids to go to 5Cs. I felt good about that decision. Now the craziness begins!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was such a great weekend. We'll have to do it very soon.