Saturday, September 15, 2007

school daze

On Wednesday, Maysen started school. Nate went to the office late that morning so he could go too, which was nice. We had told him the night before that he was going to school because I never really thought he'd "get" it. He was super excited, not going to sleep until about 10:30 that night. Thinking we'd get to sleep in at least until 7:15am, you can imagine our surprise when we heard pitter patter on the kitchen floor at 6:45am "Go to school?!"

He was a trooper when we got there, going right over to the toys without a missed beat. We kissed him goodbye and left without a second thought from our little boy. I was to pick him up at 11:25 and got there right on time. I think I was just as anxious to get there as he was for me to get there! I walked down the hall and was met with the classroom door shut. "Hmmm" I thought, as I knocked quietly and walked in. All the other kids were quietly sitting wide-eyed as I walked in, my child's seat empty. That is, because, he was being comforted by Miss T as he cried his little eyes out. Talk about making your heart break! She assured me this had JUST started as they headed in from recess about 5 minutes prior. It was probably a mix of missing mom, having to come inside from recess, and an awkward transition-time for lunch.

He goes Wed, Thurs, Fri as the director told me that it's easier on kids to go three days in a row. It was, in our case, as he knew exactly what was going to happen the next 2 days. I dropped him off the next morning and was met with no tears, but a protruding bottom lip as I left. I again arrived right on time at 11:25 and was met again with my little Bean being comforted as he cried away. Friday was very predictable, as when I arrived again he was crying. It was then decided that I would pick him up just prior to them coming in from recess to divert this upsetting time for him. No biggie, as it means I will go 5min early. Otherwise he is loving school and brings home various colorings, paintings, and stories. It was neat hearing him repeat the story of Noah by saying "Momma, there was a weewy big boat ... then *gets a scary voice* a WEEWY BIG STORM". Very fun.

On another note, Nate got a job offer from the Weyerhaeuser/Denver office the other day! When Nate's Software Developing contract ended at Weyerhaeuser he had told the Denver office he'd be willing to relocate if a permanent job was offered - this was back in February. He of course found another job in the interim and is Web Developing for RealPro Systems. To keep his name alive in the Weyerhaeuser company, he continues to work from home (or work) on a Weyerhaeuser laptop about 10hrs a week for which he makes a very nice hourly income. So weighing all the options, I don't think we'll be moving to Denver. We'd be giving up a lot to move away from here. I can't even imagine moving 6+mo pregnant. It was very flattering for Nate to get that call - as they had just learned about their software developer leaving that day - and it wasn't even posted on the company's listing yet.

Fall was in the air last night as we sweatshirt'ed up and went to the local varsity high school football game last night. It was a lot of fun watching Maysen get excited for touchdowns - he'd clap when the crowd would clap, enjoyed popcorn, and LOVED it when the ambulance turned it's lights on during a good play. I never realized how football symbolized fall. I loved it.

4 comments:

L&D said...

Congrats on the first day of school! Man, is he ever a cutie!

Ej said...

I get upset too when recess is over ;-)

kelly ens said...

The up side is that he's happy when you drop him off - i've heard of lots of kids that freak out at that point! Hopefully he gets used to it all quickly!

Pickledeel said...

Nice pictures! Mine are all out of home now save one. Hardly remember those first school days. Hang on to them!