Sunday, August 19, 2007

Life Race

This last week has been the Lane County Fair here in Eugene. Do you know a funny little tidbit? I grew up in Lane County Dighton, Kansas. Nathan grew up in Lane County Eugene, Oregon. When we met eachother we lived near a cross section of streets. One side was Leslie, the other side was Oregon. Just little things like that that make you go "Hmm." Anyway, we took Maysen to meet Uncle Bob and Aunt Bonnie yesterday. Bonnie is an artist and had a booth of her paintings at the fair. We bought one of her open paintings from the Creswell Christian School auction in March. We finally found the perfect picture for her to paint of Maysen, which she'll start this winter.

We spent the day riding kiddy rides, which Maysen was apprehensive at first. Then we couldn't get him off the rides! He was Mr Hotshot and there was nothing getting him off the rides .. until $20 of tickets ran out - which was quick, believe me!

Along side riding kiddie rides, was of course the gotta-have bag of the aired pure sugar we know as Cotton Candy. Can you believe this stuff is legal?

I'm not sure what causes most people to sit back at a given moment and make them count their blessings. Lately I don't think I have done that enough. However, yesterday while watching the pig race, I glanced over to Bob, who had tagged along with us while romping around with Maysen. Bob and Bonnie watched Maysen ever since I went back to work when he was 3 months old. They had him at least one whole day a week until June 15th when I hung up my nurses hat temporarily to stay home with my small kids while they're still ... small. Ever since that day I can honestly say that I never realized the impact it had on them that he wasn't there like normal - nor the impact it had on Maysen. Both Bonnie and Bob are cancer survivors, and when Maysen was born were both feeling the effects of illness and age. Having admittedly not known Bob and Bonnie very well prior to Maysen's birth, I didn't realize who they were. It was after the first year of watching Maysen did people start telling me and I really realized how much Maysen meant to their lives - and them to his. They share a special bond that I don't think anyone will understand except for them. They have their own routine, games, language when they're together. And it's not until I saw them together yesterday did I realize, in a way, I had taken him from them.

Now to the blessings part. I grew up as a kid in a big family. Big in the sense that I had lots of cousins, lots of aunts and uncles, lots of loving people around. Unfortunately family chaos arose, my family broke up, and I haven't spoken to mostly all of them in many, many years. It truly is a shame and I wish things were different, but unfortunately they're not. Even my immediate family is not what it used to be, although I love them very very much. My own mother and I have a strained, frustrating relationship and she lives in North Carolina (whole other story there), my sister is close in Portland but has her own life, and my wonderful dad and stepmom are semi-retired and travel all over the US. They are closer to us geographically than they ever have been but are still an 8hr drive one way. I shouldn't complain, as it could be much, much worse. That is the extent (to a small degree) "my family", or what is left of it. When I married into Nathan's family I never realized how blessed I was marrying into such a great family. What family was lost has now been somewhat recovered and I am back in a loving, caring enviroment. What is more important to me however, is that Maysen is surrounded by a group that is accepting, loving, caring, close, secure, and most importantnly - bonded. I could have never imagined that I would get that ... and so much more. The bond he shares with Bob and Bonnie will forever be there and that is something I would never change. It truly is a special gift from God.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the cutest picture ever :) We should hang out soon. Maybe you could come here some weekend and hang out. Just me and you. Head down to Henry's, have some of that awesome chocolate cake. Go bowling. Something fun. Whatcha think?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures at the fair. And, what sweet words. Love You. Mom

kelly ens said...

Really enjoyed this post; so great that Maysen has that connection.