Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pools, trains, tractors ... OH MY!

Saturday night we got home from our trip to visit my dad and Jo in California. Jenn ended up going also and we all had a great time! Nate was in Seattle at a conference, so why stick around here alone?! What I hadn't really grasped, I don't think, was the driving down there. They are near Lodi, CA and it took us 8.5hrs to get there. Maysen did pretty well, but I think the bigger obstacle was the fact we decided to take my 80lb basset hound, Bailey, with us. She stayed with grandma and grandpa in their 5th wheel, thank goodness!

We went swimming both full days we were there. Maysen actually insists that he do this himself, only holding on to the noodle. Of course I'm right there, but he doesn't want to be touched, and actually does rather well!! He kicks and moves his arms and he scoots across the pool like no one's business!
"Prapa" still had to work while we were there. They manage this KOA park in Isleton, CA.

Near Isleton is this train museum. It seems sort of out of place, and although we were skeptical, decided to go. What a fun place that was! They had a *HUGE* metal shed that held all sorts of antique train cars you could walk through. There was basically no one there and we had the place to ourselves. Check out Jenn's blog for some really awesome pictures! Anything trains is A-OK in Maysen's book so he had a good time. We took a trolley/train car ride about 4 miles down the tracks and they actually gave you a ticket.

I don't know if many of you have seen Polar Express, but I have a son who is absolutely ADDICTED to that movie, and all he could do was sit and stare at his actual ticket! The conductor actually came by with a ticket punch and said "Ticketsssss pleeeease" just like they do in the movie and Mase looked at me like "DID YOU HEAR THAT!?" Here he is staring at his just-punched ticket, not letting go for anything!

Here's one more of the pool ... I had forgotten my bathing suit, so thanks to the clearance rack at Walmart found a cheapo tank top, which worked just fine. Maysen was getting so excited sometimes he'd forget to wait for me to jump. But he's warming up to the water just fine! He goes to swimming lessons with daddy on Wednesday nights (that's their thing together since Nate isn't around all day - they both love it and it gives me an hour alone!) and he's becoming quite the water bug. We've had a great summer so far ... I just can't believe he starts school next month...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Little Bean!