Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Sweet Rewards


It's always nice to feel appreciated in our daily lives. Even more so at your job, where most people feel it's "just a job". That's my usual diluted attitude towards work, however I am enjoying this job more than I have any other jobs I've ever had. And today it got even better.

Last Friday I was giving advise to one of our patients who was very concerned about his wife, who was having a complication to a medication she was given in the hospital. I told him that I would call him back before I left for the weekend. Did I remember? Of course not. Saturday morning I woke up at 4am, remembering that I hadn't called him back. Later in the morning I called, gave my apologies, and inquired how his wife was and later gave him my home phone number in case he needed me over the weekend. Today, what shows up? A $50 gift certificate to GAP from this particular patient. I love the rewards of my job. Not only the gifts, but emotional rewards, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's neat, Les. Good story. I got a reward once, too. I got a Snickers candy bar at one job. Because my team won the Mountain Climber contest. Don't ask.

Yeah. You're very lucky. ;-) (Just ask Nic about Mountain Climber. ;-)

Leslie said...

Okay, Jenn and Nic ... fess up. What's mountain climber??

Anonymous said...

When I worked for the Card Services division of the Ho, we had these goals. Get through so much production each month. The name of the contest was 'mountain climber', because there was this paper icon of a guy climbing a mountain, and 25%, 50%, 75%, and the top was 100% of the way there to reach our goal. It was the gayest thing ever. So one month, we hit our goal. We got a giant heaping overflowing basket of candy. Not money. Not anything useful. Just something we could pad our asses with. Thanks, 'Ho!

Jenn

Leslie said...

*rolls eyes* did you feel like you were in 3rd grade being "praised" for doing good. So demoralizing ... Bite it "Ho".

Anonymous said...

Oh dear god. Mountain Climber can bite me.

(eyeroll)

Yeah, $5.00 gift certificates and junk food are really motivating. The only time I got anything good from work was when I collected over $50K..I won a DVD player. That's it though.