Monday, March 20, 2006

HELP!

I have often been fascinated with the drastic dynamics of a big conglomo company. Our office seems quaint, personable, easy to get along with. Yet at the same time, the different levels of "seniority" and manipulative personalities rave throughout, as I'm sure they do with any company. Perhaps it isn't until it hits you BAM! in the face you don't realize it's there and go on your merry Monday-Friday way.

Where am I going with this? We as nurses in this office are expected to be in office when our doctors are there. When/if they are on vacation, it's up to you: try and fill in at other places, or chose to be off as well. "Jane" is Dr J's nurse. She has been at the office since it opened and has been there longer than anyone else, including our Office Supervisor. Her personality is one that you enjoy at times, but yet you don't want to cross or piss off because it would make the quiet little "family" in complete disarray. Over the past 2 years, she has been working full time as well as going to school to be an hospital adminstrator, and happens to graduate in June. During the day, she often spends her lunch hour doing endless projects. Friday, Dr J left for vacation to Europe. This means that while she is gone Dr D (my doctor) and I have to cover patient load/paperwork/phone calls, etc, etc for them until they return.

One other doctor, Dr B, decided 2 weeks ago to cut her hours to part time, forcing her nurse to have to cut her hours as well. This didn't set to well with K, her nurse. When K asked my office supervisor if she could come in on Dr B's days off and do paperwork, she was told "No, due to our restricted office budget".

That brings us to today. I got to work late because of my appointment with the ENT doctor this morning. When I got to work at approx 10am, "Jane" was there at her little desk hidden down the secluded hallway. I wondered to myself "Hm, I wonder why she is here? Maybe she's doing some of her/my paperwork - boy wouldn't that be nice on a Monday since we're slammed". About an hour later, she walked by and I asked "Oh, are you here doing work-work or no?" .... "Oh, no". I passed it off as she came to get some quiet and do her final paper, etc for school. So tonight, I went to go get our teams time cards as I usually do every week for everyone. "Jane's" wasn't there. "Oh," I thought "she must have picked her's up, I'll see if it's on her desk". Sure enough - there it was. But what caught my attention was the amazing FOUR hours she had marked down as her "time worked" today. I sat there just *staring* at it. 0900-1300?! Huh? I was there the whole time and never once did she do ANY paperwork, nor any files on the computer that *I* had to do of her's because her and Dr J are "off". "Jane" has always walked around the workplace because of her seniority with the look "of just try and question me". So, I sat down at my desk wondering what, if anything, I should do about this. 1) K is being told she can't come in and make up the hours that she had yanked from her 2) I am sitting here making my normal hourly wage doing DOUBLE the work because she's "off" yet sitting down there blatently NOT doing work-work, but probably working on some class project, yet jots down four hours of work.

So, I typed up an "anonymous" note to my supervisor. It was general, yet very specific to who I was talking about, without pointing fingers. My office supervisor is the type that she would never question the hours we have marked on our time card. "Jane" is the type to know that and know that whomever looks at her time card besides our office supervisor won't question this either. It's not fair. It's so.....*shady*. What do I do? Any ideas? Pass along my anonymous note ... or butt out? I'm torn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd probably do it, because it's the right thing to do. Plain and simple.

Jenn

Leslie said...

Thanks, Jenn. I'm glad at least ONE person reads my site .... and comments. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you need to comment on my site, sweetheart. People read your site, I bet. Just not all of them comment. I very rarely get a lot of comments, unless I spout off with something that really charges people up. ;-)

Jenn