Saturday, February 28, 2009

UPDATE ON LAITH:

UPDATE TO POST BELOW: Laith's prayers have been answered. Although the full donation of $1.5mill has not been met, a Pittsburgh hospital has agreed to help the family by providing the use of a heart pump to keep him healthy until a new heart can be found. You can read the story here.

Our vacation has been going very well. We have had a few injuries along the way, mainly in the form of bumps and bruises but it's been great. The beach house is spectacular and so far I've enjoyed my afternoons quietly while Fin is asleep - while the boys go down to the beach.

We did have a scary experience yesterday, however. The Oregon coast is notorious for their sneaker waves; you have to be very careful. Without warning, Maysen took a run for the water, Nate had Fin, and I noticed just in time that it was one of those waves where it was going to travel a ways up the beach before receding. The wave caught Maysen, pulled him down and I got there in time to pull him out of the water before it's receding. I got him up and out, Nate was able to get him back to the sand. I unfortunately was caught in a 2nd wave right after pulling Maysen out and was drug down. I held onto the sand underneath until all of the wave had receded and was able to get out but I have had my share of water-close calls. 2 years ago while White Water Rafting on the Trinity river in California, I was thrown out of the boat and held under by a current under the river. Amazingly I'm not afraid, per se, of the water, rather I just have more respect for it's power.

We're heading home tomorrow where hopefully our new shed will be ready and waiting for us. We decided to have it built by some contractors vs Nate building it himself. In the end it was worth the money to have it done compared to the length of time it would take for Nate to complete it. More on that later! Hope you have enjoyed your weekend thus far...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your vacation's going well. I'll call ya later to hear more about the Bean scare. :\

Anonymous said...

I've seen a couple of waves like that but never exprienced myself or with my kids. Good job in your reaction. Yes, always have a healthy respect for water of any kind. Glad all is well except for a little sand in the unusual places. Love Mom