Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Greensburg = Green

Some may or may not know that I'm originally from Kansas - spent my whole life there up until 2003. So when I learned about the massive F5 tornado that ripped through Greensburg last summer, destroying the town, it hit home ... literally. One of the neighbor boys I grew up with lived with his wife and small baby girl in Greensburg at the time of the tornado. Luckily, they're OK.

So, when I was combing through the massive list of channels to chose from, I stumbled across a program entitled simply "Greensburg". When Nate got home we watched it and discovered it was actually a Docu-Series documenting the towns rebirth. What makes it more interesting is that they're taking a massively different approach and becoming the US ... no, WORLD's role model and rebuilding all eco-friendly, or "green" (I think the towns' name is appropriate, Greensburg, KS). You can watch the challenges, obstacles, different views, frustration as this town rebuilds ... the right way.

Read more here about this heroic effort. This is just one more reason I'm proud to say I'm from Kansas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd heard about them making Greensburg "green", so to speak. It's pretty cool. Neat way to start over.

Leslie said...

Yea, it is. Nate and I were talking about how ironic God's plan is. Such a horrible thing happened, but look what's coming from it. Something pretty important, I think.

Anonymous said...

Cool article about Greensburg. You'll have to let me know if they have more on TV so we can watch it! Oh, and the house wouldn't be too small if we had just one more bathroom :o) :o) :o)... don't ya think!! Mom/Sher