Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Happy May Day!


Do you still do May Day Baskets? Today my doorbell rang at 4:00pm. "Hmmm...", I thought, "who could that be?" As I went to the door I saw our neighbor girls running away giggling. Above is what I saw on my door.

I remember doing May Day baskets when I was young - we would pick flowers (mainly lilacs) and we'd put them baskets, load them in a lid to a cardboard box lid, load it up in mom's van, and drive around town delivering them. We'd run up, ring the doorbell and run (to the van) like sly dogs. I don't know why, but I specifically remember May Day'ing to my grandma Leota and babysitter "Gwennie".

On a sad note, Nate's Grandma Dolly died yesterday. It is very sad, but she had previous complications and it was somewhat expected. Nate and I are working on a slideshow/movie of her life so we've been busy working on that. May God bless your soul, Dolly.

... and I'm sitting here 10 feet away from my present of lilacs and can smell them from here. Can't beat that ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a blast from the past. I remember May Day baskets. I remember giving one to the Lawrences across the street. ;)

kelly ens said...

mmmmm...lilacs. our lilac tree is almost fully bloomed. can't wait to bring some indoors. that smell is wonderful!

Leslie said...

I know ... my lilac tree is in bloom. I love opening by bedroom window (beside my tree) and letting the breeze bring in the smell.