Sunday, June 4, 2006

Selfish?

I've been faced with some personal/relationship decisions lately that I've walked away wondering if I've made the right one or not. Because having made the decision, the repercussions I face are those of me being selfish, neglectful, unthoughtful and basically "How could/dare you?" So then, like any person, I sit back and ponder the decision, wondering if I were in the other persons' shoes, what would I think? I've then, also, run it by my close friends/family like "get a load of this" and often I'm told that it was the "other" person who is being selfish in responding in the "how dare/could you" mind frame. But then I think, are THEY being told about me "She's so wrong. How could she do that? I don't know what is wrong with her" and getting their feelings validated that I'm 'so wrong'?

That was me once back in the day. When my dad moved, I thought it was horrible he didn't come visit more, "had to work", etc. Then I stopped, looked at it from his view, and thought "Man, I am really acting like a spoiled brat" yet at the time, I had all the support of "No, he should want to come". So, I guess the bottom line, is I am who I am. I make the decisions I make because of who I am, and if they're wrong, then they're wrong. I feel at the time, its' the right decision. I can't fret over if I made the right or wrong one forever and ever. I have to make the decision that is best for me and my family at the time I make it. And not let it eat me up days, weeks, months later. I think overall, I am a caring and loving person. If I make a wrong decision, I hope it's over casted by some of the right ones I've made in that relationship. Who knows. Maybe that means nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock it, sister. You are a caring, loving person. If you weren't, I wouldn't be at yer joint every other weekend. :-) If someone has a problem not seeing beyond their own little here and now to realize what you may be going through, then they need to grow up and realize things aren't all about them - even in the best of times.

Jenn