Sunday, June 18, 2006

Swiss Family Robinson

This is the quiet, little bit of heaven I just spent the last 3 days at. We left Friday morning for Willow Creek, California for a small get away; sort of a graduation/anniversary gift to ourselves. We traveled down the coastal highway 101, driving through the Redwoods on the way. We arrived at Coho Cottages around 3pm. Coho Cottages consists of only 3 accomodations. The Riverside Bungalow (above; where we stayed), a cottage in town, and the Farmhouse on top of the hill. So, what I am trying to say, is we were completely secluded. Just down the private trail from our bungalow was the Trinity River. We went and ate at the local small pizza parlour and came home until dark sitting on the balcony drinking a few beers. The shower was an open shower, where I stared up at the stars with the smell of Biolage running through my hair. When I opened my eyes, I was staring ahead at the moon gleaming off the river below. Absolutely amazing. Falling asleep inside the screened in bunglow listening to the crickets and birds was so peaceful. I felt like I part of the Swiss Family Robinsons', minus the pirates.



Saturday sort of changed my life. Marc and Londa Rowley, who own Coho Cottages, also own Big Foot Rafting Company. So, we decided we'd go White Water Rafting. It was a TOTAL blast until we hit the rapids named "Slot". Nathan and I were sitting in the back of the raft near our guide. Out of nowhere, a huge wall of water hit me, and knocked me off the raft. When the 38 degree water hit me, it knocked the breath out of me and I was in the water. Although, I wasn't just in the water; I had fallen into the swirling whirlpool we had just hit and I was quickly taken under by the undertow. The first thing they teach you is to not panic. I'd consider myself a pretty skilled swimmer, but I tried to relax and wait to surface. This was uncomfortable because I had started out with no air. I kept seeing the surface, but when I'd get close to surfacing, the undertow would drag me back under. I literally started sucking in water through my lungs and nose and I thought "Oh my God, I'm drowning!!" I started thinking of my family and Maysen. Finally I surfaced long enough to gasp a breath and I was back under the water. I was finally spit out by the whirlpool and I surfaced to see my raft and an oar being handed out to me. After needing to throw up, I finally caught my breath and was OK. Needless to say, I am a tad shell shocked from ever returning back to the wild river and rafting. I don't mean to scare anyone else away from the water; I had an unfortunate experience, but with that said, it was a blast! (all things aside).

We decided to come home today a different way, which turned out to add an extra hour to our trip instead of shortening it. However, this enabled us to visit a ghost town abandoned back when the Gold Rush ended. It was so neat seeing the houses and buildings that once had a history of a community, family, customers, holidays and various other things that create memories in our day to day lives. As we were driving along the river, it was hard not picturing old men, sitting along the banks, panning for gold 100yrs ago.

It was a great weekend, but glad to be home, away from rapidly flowing water and out of the car. I can't wait to visit the Redwoods again. There is something oddly prehistoric about them. You can't help but visualize some Jurassic Park-type environment when you're around them. Here's just a taste of truly how big they are: (FYI: Nate is 6'1").



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had fun babysitting Bean!

Jenn