Saturday, November 29, 2008

Finally.

It’s that time of year again. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that this is my absolute most favorite time of year. It always has been. Looking back to when we were small, I can remember dad getting out the old fashioned bulbs and lining our bushes. Dragging out the artificial tree (in Kansas, real trees were ridiculously expensive … maybe because there are no trees in Kansas … they’d have to import those suckers!) was always a family job and we hung so much tinsel from that tree that you could see it from Mars. We got to the point where Jenn and I would deck our room out with Christmas light and we'd fall asleep to the glow (starting that tradition early with Mase). As a past time after dinner we’d drive around and check out Christmas lights, complete with "O Holy Night" blaring from the speakers.

It’s just a magical time, a cozy time, an intimate time, such a time for traditions. I’m sure it rings true for many of you out there, but I look forward to this time for 11 months out of the year and it’s FINALLY HERE!

This year is special because it's Griffin's first Christmas. Of course he won't remember any of it, but it's special to me to spend this holiday season as a new family. Christmas won't ever be like the years past, because Griffin is now here. It's just special. (I'm starting to sound very sappy. Sorry.)

So, Thanskgiving was wonderful. Jenn arrived into town early enough for all of us to have a great visit together. We headed out around 2:00 for Nate's mom's house. We were anticipating having dinner with A & M, which are Nate's step-sisters. When we got there, we were informed that A & M's grandfather had fallen terribly ill and so they had gone to be with him and the rest of their family. It was too bad we couldn't spend time with them as we don't see them very much, but they needed to be with their grandfather.

That meant we just had dinner with Nate's parents and Jenn. It was a small get-together but it was perfect. We laughed, ate, drank, and just had a great time. I learned how to play "Hearts" and did pretty darn good. I came in 2nd, only missing 1st place by a few points. Poor Jenn ended with with Ms Queen of Spades most of the time ... Sucka!

Yesterday, the day after Thanksgiving, has always been our traditional "Day of Christmas Lights". Most people are getting up at 3:00am to compete during "Black Friday", but I'm not one of the brave souls. I did, however, brave the crowds around 9:00. Hey. These days 9:00 is early to me! The crowds weren't too bad and I had just set out for 3 things: New center piece for my table, lighted garland, and poinsettas. I did a few extra things that weren't on my list (isn't that normal?) and was home by noon. Earlier this year, we bought one of those gigs that will coordinate your Christmas lights to Christmas music. So, this was the year to test it. And man, is it cool!! After blood, sweat, a few choice words, and lots of non-patience, here's what we came up with (must have sound/volume up for full effect ... otherwise it just looks like chaos):

Today we got our tree and with the non-list new ornaments up and glistening, our Christmas 2008 set-up is now complete. Just saying that makes it sounds like it was a snap and the truth is, it's been a long 2 days. But it's complete and although it's a lot of work, in the end I love every minute of it. Maysen has said all night "I love this Christmas Day!" I love that he's getting and forming memories more and more every day....

Time to check out the Civil War UofO vs Oregon State game. I've heard it's a good one. Here's to everyone starting their Holiday Season ... Cheers!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I like the new look! Your tree looks beautiful! I love this time of year also. Love ya

Anonymous said...

How fun....... I'll bet Maysen is loving the lights in the yard with the music. Is Fin wondering what you've done to his house? :o) Love MomSher

Anonymous said...

Your house is gorgeous! Can you come and design mine? :) So nice and warm looking.
Amy

Anonymous said...

Way to go with the computerized lights! That is amazing. How do you do that? You are going to have to show me.

Papa

L&D said...

Well, you sure didn't waste any time getting those decorations up! You ambitious thing, you. And well done. They look lovely.