Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Onward Ho ...

I’m emotionally stuck between being extremely happy and proud of my dad and Jo, to selfishly feeling deprived of something that most people find as their main source of pride, comfort, and “home”.

About 5 years ago, my dad and stepmother sold our childhood home and bought a 5th wheel. It had always been a dream of my fathers’ to cut his roots to anything that might be holding him back and travel all over the United States, being somewhat semi-retired. They achieved their goal and have seen most of the United States, either traveling through or working for a moment in time there. They manage RV parks/resorts for a year or two at a time and then move on. My happiest times were when they worked in Lincoln City, only a 3hr drive from where we live.

But that job, too, never lasted and they were off back across the US – thousands of miles away. It was always bitter sweet to see them drive away knowing it would likely be a year before seeing them again. You see, my parents divorced when I was 17 and I literally lost half my whole family with the divorce. It was messy, to say the least. All I basically have now is my dad and my sister, who by the grace of God lives only 2hrs from me in Portland.

For the last year or so, my dad and Jo have been working in California. Although it’s a whole state away, it was still only a 7hr drive from us and the trip could be made if there was a long 3-day weekend. Throughout the year we’ve made a couple of trips down to see them, and them coming multiple times up to Oregon to see us. We’ve had some great times within the last year – seeing San Fransisco together, visiting Alcatraz, Griffin’s birth and illness, Frisbee tosses to Hombre, and extensive talks while on the boat sailing on the Delta.

With Maysen now 3, his recollection of who people are and experiences he’s had with them are really sticking in his mind. He repeats certain phrases my dad has said, relates boats to “Prapa has a boat”, cooking with grandma Jo, the birds “Pacho and Chacho”, riding the “tractor” which is nothing more than a golf cart, and other fun times they’ve shared.

Dad called and told me last week that they have accepted another job – in Kentucky. Normally I would be congratulating them with the same bitter sweetness I have in the past – but this one was different. I have found as my kids get older, I realize the greater importance of family. And I know we’re all biased when it comes to our family, but I truly believe that my father is one of the greatest people on this earth. I feel fortunate that Maysen has such a strong bond to that man. I am saddened with the realization that Griffin might not be as fortunate. I am lucky that Jo is a great grandmother to my kids and that she has her own unique bond with not only us, but my kids.

The harsh reality of seeing them more than a few days a year is a hard one to take. My dad is no spring chicken and I worry about him falling ill and me not being there. I worry that as the days, weeks, years pass that the memories of Prapa and Grandma will become hazy in Maysen's little head.. I worry that the first time Griffin is able to know who Dad and Jo are, he’ll cower behind my leg – scared of these people that love him so much.

So I sit here feeling guilty that I am thinking only of me and my kids happiness. I am thrilled that they are able to continue to live their dream. But one thing I realize is that the older we all get, the more important being close to my family is to me. Not saying that family is not important to my dad and Jo, I just hope that some day being close to us is more important than seeing the country.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is the same for him, Les. That's why he came back to the area so many times before, so be close to us. But it's also his time, now - for them to get to do what they want, while they have the chance to do so. Don't take it personally, as hard as that might be. I get where you're coming from, but I've no doubt family's not important to dad. Of course it is. Otherwise, they wouldn't have come to Oregon and California these last couple of times to find work.

I know how you feel, in a sense, though. But there's videos, pictures, the phone, etc - newfangled technology makes it to where we can be close but not be close, geographically speaking. And who knows - maybe KY will suck and they'll be back this way.

It's hard not to be selfish sometimes. I get where you're coming from in wanting dad and Jo around. It makes me sad knowing they're off someplace else, but at the same time, I'm happy because they get to do what they get to do. Live the dream, so to speak. Not a lot of people can do what they're doing, and so if that makes them happy, so be it. Because they choose to do that, doesn't mean they don't care about family any less.

Hang in there. *hug* Love you.

Leslie said...

I don't think you read my post that close :-) I really am extremely happy for them in their venture. I only wish, for selfish reasons, they were closer, permanently. I really think it's different when you have kids. I feel that there is so much more to my life now that they're missing out on - and that's my kids. I'm lucky we have gotten to have the experiences we have had, and look forward to many more.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're sad. You should be! You love them and they're not close. I'm hoping that when they're done traveling they'll wind up close to you guys. *hug*

Brooke

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're sad. You should be! You love them and they're not close. I'm hoping that when they're done traveling they'll wind up close to you guys. *hug*

Brooke

L&D said...

Aw. *Hugs*
I can see how it would be hard to not have those you truly love, around much. It's ok to have a "pity party" every once in a while. That's what blogging is for!