Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring Fever at my house

I planted red tulips last fall and they're sprouting up all over. I'm surprised they're already blooming - it's not even Easter yet! I got the mondo-Costco deal. I think there were 20+ red tulip bulbs in one bag, so they're everywhere. I'm going to dig up my old bulbs that have been there for Lord-knows how long ...but you know when bulbs bloom year after year, they get smaller and smaller. Oregon is temperate enough that you don't have to dig up your bulbs to have them rebloom year after year - they just get smaller. So when the blooms die off this year I'll dig up my old and tired tulips and perhaps get another gigantuan Costco bag of them.

This area is usually full of folliage and flowers in the summer. We just planted 4 azaleas along the sidewalk (on the left) with vinca in between. (I won't mention that we shoveled into our underground sprinkler system pipe in doing this ... oops.) We also have climbing clemates behind the azaleas on a grid we have bolted to the side of the house.

Does anyone know what this is? It looks almost like honey suckle, but it's not. It blooms fine white flowers and it's pretty otherwise, but no one seems to know exactly what this vine-like thing is. It's a bit overgrown and needs a haircut...

Tomorrow we're heading to Portland to help my sister move into her new apartment. Instead of driving the 2hrs back (and who knows what condition Maysen will be in having no nap) we decided to just get a hotel room close by. We'll be able to get up Sunday morning and perhaps take Maysen swimming. So that will be a fun little get away. Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

kelly ens said...

the yard and flowers look great!
hope you have a great weekend in portland :)