Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mary gets Smack Down

One thing that goes quietly unnoticed sometimes is how extremely stressful it is to any woman (and some guys) to get a haircut. For me, it always unleashes that question of "Will she do it right this time, I really love how my hair flips this way, will she know what I'm talking about and get it right?" For those who have their established hairstylist who does it "right" everytime: I hate you. For 2 years back in Kansas I went to the same hairstylist, but admittedly, she did little things different everytime. She meant to do them the same, but some layers wouldn't be the same, or the bangs weren't cut right. Two haircuts ago I found Mary. I walked in, told her what I wanted and before I could say anything like "can you do those shorter?" it was like she was reading my mind and just did it. And the price was reasonable! I walked away stress free knowing that I could reliably go to her next time. So, acouple weeks ago, I decided it was time for a trim. So I make an appointment, go in and sit down. Thank God she remembers me and I proceed to tell her how happy I was with her and what she did the previous time and I want things just how she did before. Now, for some reason ... she has transformed and now believes she owns my hair. I notice she's not layering with the same tool. I think she noticed my quizzing look and so she says "I've decided I'm going to feather your layers instead of cut them blunt". Uhhhh, this is not what we did before, but now it's too late. The "owning" statements don't end there. Then it was "I've decided I'm leaving the front longer this time because I am not sure I like how it turned out last time" I walked away confused. And although my hair is "okay", it's not really how I 'like' it. Not that I'm mondo picky, because I can adjust but you know how you just like things to do a certain thing and look a certain way. So, my options are a) to find someone else, which stresses me out beyond belief ... b)or go back to Mary and lay the smack down on her. I think I'll go with B. And start it out with "Do it right, bitch".

2 comments:

Ej said...

Hair dressers are a scary breed - finding a good one is hard. Let her have it - it's your hair and you have to deal with the feathered longer pieces everyday. In the word of my dear sister "kick her to the curb!" Godd luck with Mary and her wonder sissors!

Leslie said...

Erin - you're right. I'm planning to hand her a map next time she cuts my hair: "shorter here, a straight cut here". Reality I'm probably every hair dresser's nightmare!