Friday, May 12, 2006

Before

This is our house right now. Our front porch and back deck got newly stained on Tuesday. On Monday we're having our house repainted. The main color will be a green/grey with trim being white. And my front door will be red.

Nathan got an "unofficial" job offer on Wednesday from Weyerhaeuser. As many people know, there are alot of technicalities with larger companies. They have to have the offer letter printed through Human Resources, etc but he was basically offered the job on Wednesday. He's one of the first string software developers developing a new software to speed along development and manufacturing of homes through Weyerhaeuser. He got offered a 1yr contract, no benefits. It's great in a few ways. There are Pros and Cons:

Pros:
a) The $$$ is really good, almost double what I make
as an RN (with raise to be discussed at 60 days)
b) *Great* experience for a software developer right out of school
c) Awesome opportunity for advancement in a great company
d) Great chance of the contract being extended/turning into permanent position
e) If it becomes a permanent position, high likelyhood that Nathan will quickly turn into a Lead or Senior programmer, as
he is one of the first developers working on this project

Cons:
a) 100% stability only 1yr right now
b) No benefits offered while on contract

I guess I was just hoping to drop my job as soon as Nathan graduated and obtained a job. I guess I may have to be patient a tad bit longer. Mainly for the benefits. We could get coverage through the VA, but I'm not convinced at the quality of the VA medical benefits. Oh well, it's a great opportunity for Nathan. Plus, Dr D may be taking an extra day off during the week to train interns from OHSU. I've already cut Tuesday out of my week, so if he takes a M,W, or F I'll only need to work 2 days/week and still keep my benefits. I will let you know when we get the official letter. Should be Monday. Happy Mother's Day to those who are mommies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Nate congrats!

Jenn