Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sad.

RIP Birdie
1999 - 8/8/09

DSC_0055

We laid our dear Birdie to rest today. She had been with us for a very long time … through lots of transitions (military deployment, moving, birth of 2 children, first house purchase) and she was a very faithful friend through good times and bad. She became overwhelmed with infections due to a compromised immune system and her kidneys were starting to fail. It was a difficult decision but in the end, it was the best thing we could have done to repay her for all she brought to us.

We rescued her from the pound in Manhattan Kansas in August of 1999. Nathan was just about ready to be deployed to Kuwait for 4mo and I needed some company for those 4 months.

DSC_0156

We knew Bird was the one when her cage was the only one unlocked and she kept rubbing back and forth talking to us. On our way home, a bird flew in front of my car and I said, "Lets name her Bird." Ever since then she's always known she was our Birdie.

DSC_0037

She loved all kinds of things. She loved being outside and in the trees. Playing with the red laser light was also a love. Most dogs/cats don't get alone but she absolutely loved Bailey. They were pals. When she needed warmth, she'd go to Bay. When she needed protection, she went to Bay. She took care of Bay and licked her. They were best friends.

If I sit still enough, I can still hear her behind me …. but deep down I know she always will be. Miss you … my little Birdie …

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma and Poppy loved little Birdie. She always jumped up on Poppy's lap. A very friendly kitty. Rest her soul.

Jenn said...

Little birdie will always be missed, but she's in a better place. And I've no doubt we'll see her again.

Love you, my little birdie.

L&D said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It's amazing how animals become part of our family. Big hugs.