Sunday, November 27, 2011

New Addition to our Family...

I have to admit when I held Griffin in the hospital just hours after he was born, I remember thinking, "This cannot be the last time I hold a newborn. I'm not done with babies."

And then the fighting came. The reminder of sleepless nights. The potty training. The poop seemingly EVERYWHERE.

With time ... and lots of it .... most of that went away. I felt somewhat human again. And although my bathrooms always have a 'boy urine' smell to them, I realize that it will likely always remain that way unless I have my own child-free special room and bathroom built for me like Clair Huxtable did in The Cosby show.

Life has it's own routine now. We have the two boys who have a schedule which includes their own beds, alarm clocks, private quarters upstairs, and for the most part can feed themselves scraps for survival if need be.

Then there are the pets. We have 2 independent cats who somewhat come and go as they please. Bailey, the 11yr old Basset Hound stricken with Addison's Disease, finally is stable and runs on her own clock as well. Between the daily prednisone pills and $90/mo steroid injects ions, she sleeps mainly all day in her basket in the closet hidden away from the children. I spend most of the day envious of her.

So, with life so seemingly stable, why would I sabotage that? Would there really be anything out there that would be that worth to me? Definitely:


Mr. "Bo" Jangles
Pure Bred Chihuahua
8 weeks old
Will only get to ~5lbs full-grown

A year ago, you would have never been able to convince me that I'd own a Chihuahua, for 3 pre-conceived reasons, mainly; They're yappy, I don't want to buy dog clothes, and I will not carry a purse to accommodate carrying a dog inside. 

The more I told myself that I shouldn't prejudge, I started to soften. First of all, look at those ears! Then I learned that he was litter box trained. True, I didn't want a newborn baby, but I could have a different sort of baby that would want to snuggle all the time without all the other crap you put up with for 9mo of pregnancy. 

So. I got Mr "Bo" Jangles for my Christmas present last weekend. He's not yappy; in one week I haven't heard one peep from him. Ok, so I bought him a jacket to wear outside BUT - he doesn't like it so I don't pressure him. Therefore, I still consider this to be a clotheless dog. I don't have a doggy-compartment purse and still do not plan on buying one. I just carry him in his blankie ...

So far he's been a great fit for our family. Bailey has new life and spunk again, I get my baby fix, the boys are learning how to be soft and gentle, and I even see head-kisses coming from Nate as he tells Bo what a pretty baby boy he is. The cats don't get why we have a rat in the house, but they don't seem to mind.

Now all I have to do is convince Nate that the ball-swelling related to getting the Mr Vas D's snipped is no biggie. Peas to the groin, baby! 

1 comment:

EJ said...

Awww - so cute! We got a puppy in June - she slept through the night and was potty trained in a few weeks - and I still got my baby fix. It's an excellent plan.